Friday, May 10, 2013

Firsts...

I have had several first things in my life; first born, first to be a sibling, first to graduate, first to go to college and graduate, first female police officer in Killeen, Texas, was the first to marry and move away from home.
The part of being first isn't all that much fun as there are no examples before me to learn how to not make mistakes from.  I guess it is to be compared to being the 'guinea pig'.  Sometimes there was a lot of fun having the new clothes first.  The #1 spot was not my favorite when it came to getting a spanking though, that was painful when I knew I didn't deserve it but no one would confess so we all got one!!  Share and share alike I guess.

After returning from my son's wedding in March I was really ready to move back there.  The weather was warm and sunny, all my friends were there, my son's new family was there.  And I was here.  I prayed that the Lord would lead me to my purpose for being here as He is the one that sent me here to begin with.  I felt I had failed in my mission to bring my family close together again.  None of them are willing to forgive each other and move on as a family unit.  I want and need to belong to a 'family'.  As I continued looking for the answer to my question from God one day after work there was a knock on my door.  I opened the door and there stood 2 young men that identified themselves as missionaries.  For some reason we began to discuss my relationship with the Lord.  They inquired if I had ever read the Book of Mormon and I replied that no, I had not ever had the opportunity to do that.  One of them handed me this book and asked me if I would read it.  I told him that yes, I would.  He requested a phone number so he could call me to see if I had any questions about the contents of the book.  I gave it to him without even thinking.
After closing the door I sat down and said a prayer asking God to give me a sign that this Book of Mormon that I was about to start reading was true and that this was something He wanted me to read.  As I began to read the book it struck me that I found it so enlightening that I could not and did not want to stop.  I felt a strong warmth of the Holy Spirit present as I read the words of the prophets.  I had the feeling of total peace and a strong desire to follow this written word.  I am still reading the book at a minimum of twice a day.  I could not wait for the missionaries to come back so we could talk.  When they came they invited me to church where I was introduced to several members.  I truly feel that I belong there.  Everyone treats me like a member of a large family.  They still do and the overwhelming feeling of complete and unconditional love is so great.  For the last several weeks for 3 days a week and on Sunday I have been in lessons so that I can be baptized.  Being baptized is the beginning of cleansing my body, mind, and spirit to be Saved so that I can live an everlasting life with Jesus Christ.  I will then be a member of the Church of the Latter Day Saints and I am so excited.  The Holy Spirit is in my home and I can feel His presence everyday.  I am a very blessed person!
I have already encouraged others to at least read the Book of Mormon to experience the joy in the words written by the prophets that received the gospel from God.  It is a record of God's dealings with the ancient inhabitants of the Americas and like the Bible it contains the everlasting gospel.  I believe that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the World and that I will be with Him forever when He returns for the second resurrection.

This feeling of immense faith is another first for me.  So now I know that when there is a knock on the door it may be SALVATION looking for me!           

No comments:

Post a Comment